2008-05-01 / News

Court Beat -- 5/1/08

Scammer jailed, billed
Harvey Floyd Hood, III, 27, was sentenced April 28 to 300 days in jail and two years of probation on several counts of taking other people’s money under false pretences.
Hood was also ordered by Circuit Court Judge Nick Holowka to pay more than $6,000 in restitution. A payment would make him eligible for a change in his status at the Lapeer County Jail after serving 180 days.
He was originally charged with passing along false financial documents in Imlay City representing more than $1,000 but less than $20,000. That charge was dropped after he pleaded guilty to the false pretence count. The charge carries a five-year maximum prison sentence.
Other criminal charges took place on April 4, 2007, and April 10 and involved a no-account check passed in Lapeer.
Prosecutor Byron Konschuh says a court officer believes Hood is addicted to “not drugs, but cash.”
“His attorney, David Black said, in court, he hadn’t heard of that,” Konschuh said.
Investigators say Hood was born in Mt. Clemens and had a Shelby Township residence at the time he was booked. He also led others to believe he was a resident of New Haven and Lenox, Mich.

Drug dealer advised to work on career change
Roberto Cortinez Jr. of Imlay City will spend close to 240 days in jail for his conviction on one count each of attempted delivery of marijuana and attempting to maintain a drug house.
The 27-year-old was arrested at his home on Sept. 11, 2007, after an investigation by the Thumb Narcotics Unit.
He was originally charged with manufacture and possession of marijuana and maintaining a drug house, but pleaded guilty to the lesser charge. He may be eligible for work site release.
Cortinez also lost his driver’s license for a year but may be allowed to drive on a restricted license after 60 days.
Judge Nick Holowka told Cortinez that it was obvious that his job was drugs and his source of income was selling drugs, but the jail sentence would at least stop him for 240 days.
The judge also told him that since everyone knew who he was and what he did, law enforcement would be watching, said Prosecuting Attorney Byron Konschuh.
“So it’s not a smart move to go back to the same career,” he added.

Thief convicted
Port Huron resident Aaron Alan Strachan was sentenced in Lapeer County Circuit Court April 28 on three separate cases of second-degree home invasion.
The 26-year-old was charged with multiple crimes that included possessing a weapon while committing larceny, committing a felony while armed and violating parole on a 2001 armed robbery conviction.
He pleaded guilty to one count each of home invasion. He committed the crimes in Hadley Township on Oct. 18 and Oct. 22 and in Dryden Township on
Nov. 5, 2007.
Strachan also was ordered to pay $4,043 in restitution for the Oct. 18 crime, $1,350 for the Oct. 22 incident and about $1,000 for the home invasion last November. There are no allegations that he threatened homeowners with a weapon, and it is not known if all the homes were occupied when he broke in.

Court Beat was compiled by Rosemary Arnholt from information provided by the prosecutor’s office from cases tried in Lapeer County Circuit Court.

Return to top

Copyright 2009-2018 The Lapeer Area View, All Rights Reserved